Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- With self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG), the patient measures his or her own blood glucose level using a drop of blood applied to a reagent stick.
- A meter displays the blood glucose level at the moment it is tested.
- Wide variety of different meters and strips, each with strengths and weaknesses.
- Usually, a small drop of blood is taken from a finger prick, although some meters can use blood from alternate sites such as forearm.
- Results are usually stored in meter by date, time and result, and can be downloaded with simple software packages; some meters display their results on an external insulin pump ("smart pumps").
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: November 5, 2015
Porter, Susan M, and Christopher Saudek. "Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547132/all/Self_Monitoring_of_Blood_Glucose.
Porter SM, Saudek C. Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547132/all/Self_Monitoring_of_Blood_Glucose. Accessed November 21, 2019.
Porter, S. M., & Saudek, C. (2015). Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547132/all/Self_Monitoring_of_Blood_Glucose
Porter SM, Saudek C. Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 November 21]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547132/all/Self_Monitoring_of_Blood_Glucose.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose
ID - 547132
A1 - Porter,Susan,CRNP, CDE
AU - Saudek,Christopher,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/11/05/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547132/all/Self_Monitoring_of_Blood_Glucose
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine