Peripheral Vascular Disease
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) includes disorders of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) outside the heart and brain. Persons with diabetes are especially at risk for ischemia in arteries of the legs and feet, termed "lower extremity peripheral artery disease (PAD)".
- Claudication is defined as limb pain with activity. It is due to muscle ischemia caused by arterial insufficiency.
- Critical Leg Ischemia (CLI) is defined as rest pain, ulcerations, or gangrene, with expectation of threatened limb loss within 6 months.
- "Diabetic Foot Syndrome" includes the combined effect of vascular and neuropathic (foot ulcer) injuries that lead to lower-extremity amputations.
- Major cause of PAD is atherosclerosis but many conditions, including venous insufficiency, mimic symptoms of PAD -- these are called "pseudoclaudication"; see "differential diagnosis" below.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: August 1, 2017
Gottlieb, Sheldon. "Peripheral Vascular Disease." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease.
Gottlieb S. Peripheral Vascular Disease. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease. Accessed July 19, 2019.
Gottlieb, S. (2017). Peripheral Vascular Disease. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease
Gottlieb S. Peripheral Vascular Disease [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2019 July 19]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Peripheral Vascular Disease
ID - 547119
A1 - Gottlieb,Sheldon,M.D.
Y1 - 2017/08/01/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine