- Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) includes disorders of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) outside the heart and brain. Persons with diabetes are especially at risk for ischemia in arteries of the legs and feet, termed "lower extremity peripheral artery disease (PAD)".
- Claudication is defined as limb pain with activity. It is due to muscle ischemia caused by arterial insufficiency.
- Critical Leg Ischemia (CLI) is defined as rest pain, ulcerations, or gangrene, with expectation of threatened limb loss within 6 months.
- "Diabetic Foot Syndrome" includes the combined effect of vascular and neuropathic (foot ulcer) injuries that lead to lower-extremity amputations.
- Major cause of PAD is atherosclerosis but many conditions, including venous insufficiency, mimic symptoms of PAD -- these are called "pseudoclaudication"; see "differential diagnosis" below.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: August 1, 2017
Gottlieb, Sheldon. "Peripheral Vascular Disease." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease.
Gottlieb S. Peripheral Vascular Disease. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease. Accessed December 6, 2023.
Gottlieb, S. (2017). Peripheral Vascular Disease. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease
Gottlieb S. Peripheral Vascular Disease [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2023 December 06]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Peripheral Vascular Disease
ID - 547119
A1 - Gottlieb,Sheldon,M.D.
Y1 - 2017/08/01/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547119/all/Peripheral_Vascular_Disease
DB - Johns Hopkins Guides
DP - Unbound Medicine