Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Osteomyelitis (OM): infection of the bone.
- Acute OM: first presentation of osteomyelitis, < 2 weeks duration, no bony necrosis/sequestrum, usually hematogenously acquired and more commonly seen in children.
- Chronic OM: not clearly defined but may include failure of prior OM treatment, symptoms >3 weeks, presence of necrotic bone/sinus tract or discharge.
- No robust evidence to back definitions or guidelines for treatment of OM in the setting of DFI.
- Two general categories of OM:
- Occurring within the context of DFI (most common by far)
- Other sites, e.g., vertebral.