Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Excess adipose tissue that affects health
- Defined clinically as a body mass index (BMI) of ≥ 30 kg/m2 by the World Health Organization. 
- Subdivided into Class 1 (BMI 30 - 34.9 kg/m 2 ), Class 2 (BMI 35-39.9 kg/m2) and Class 3 (BMI > 40 kg/m 2 ). Overweight is BMI 25-29.9 kg/m2.
- Visceral adiposity is excess adipose tissue inside the abdominal cavity.
- Visceral adiposity is defined clinically as a waist circumference > 35 inches (88 cm) for women, or > 40 inches (102 cm) for men.