Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Nutrition: Overview in Diabetes
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- All people with diabetes should receive diabetes self-management education (DSME), diabetes self-management support (DSMS), and medical nutrition therapy (MNT).
- DSME is facilitating the knowledge, skill, and ability necessary for diabetes self-care. This is typically provided by a healthcare professional.
- DSMS includes activities that assist with maintaining self-management behaviors and skills. This can be provided as part of a DSME program or a variety of community resources. This includes behavioral, educational, psychosocial and/or clinical support.
- DSME and DSMS are often grouped together and referred to as diabetes self-management education and support (DSME/S).
- MNT is nutrition counseling that includes an individualized nutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis, intervention and monitoring, and evaluation by a registered dietitian.
- Both MNT and DSME are reimbursed by Medicare as well as most health insurance plans. Medicare refers to this as diabetes self-management training (DSMT) which has the same meaning as DSME.