is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- The macula is a small and highly sensitive part of the retina, located roughly in the center of the retina and just temporal to the optic nerve.
- Macular edema occurs due to fluid and protein leaking from blood vessels within the macula causing it to swell and thicken.
- Focal macular edema is caused by foci of vascular abnormalities, primarily microaneurysms, which tend to leak fluid.
- Diffuse macular edema is caused by dilated retinal capillaries in the retina.
- Clinically significant macular edema (CSME) was defined by the Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Group (EDTRS)see Diagnosis section for full definition.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 3, 2015
Kalyani, Sachin. "Macular Edema." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547087/all/Macular_Edema.
Kalyani S. Macular Edema. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547087/all/Macular_Edema. Accessed November 14, 2019.
Kalyani, S. (2015). Macular Edema. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547087/all/Macular_Edema
Kalyani S. Macular Edema [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 November 14]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547087/all/Macular_Edema.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Macular Edema
ID - 547087
A1 - Kalyani,Sachin,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/01/03/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547087/all/Macular_Edema
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine