Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
Prevalence of type 2 diabetes in the U.S.
- Approximately 25.8 million people (18.8 million diagnosed, 7.0 million undiagnosed) have diabetes, or 8.3% of the U.S. population with diagnosed diabetes in 2011
- Approximately 79 million adults aged 20 years or older have prediabetes based on fasting glucose or hemoglobin A1c levels
- About 1.9 million U.S. adults aged 20 years or older were newly diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes in 2010
- One-third of elderly have diabetes; three-quarters have diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Compared with non-Hispanic whites, age- and sex-standardized prevalence of diagnosed diabetes was twice as high as in non-Hispanic blacks and Mexican Americans.
- Comparatively, crude prevalence of diagnosed diabetes in adults ≥ 20 years continues to increase from 5.1% in 1988-1994 to 7.7% in 2005-2006 to present day.
- Information above from 
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: August 2, 2015
Mathioudakis, Nestoras, and Rita Rastogi Kalyani. "Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes.
Mathioudakis N, Rastogi Kalyani R. Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes. Accessed November 20, 2019.
Mathioudakis, N., & Rastogi Kalyani, R. (2015). Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes
Mathioudakis N, Rastogi Kalyani R. Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 November 20]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes
ID - 547049
A1 - Mathioudakis,Nestoras,M.D.
AU - Rastogi Kalyani,Rita,M.D., M.H.S.
Y1 - 2015/08/02/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine