Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes
Prevalence of type 2 diabetes in the U.S.
- Approximately 30.3 million people (23 million diagnosed, 7.2 million undiagnosed) have diabetes. In 2015, 9.4% of the U.S. population had a diagnosis of diabetes.
- Approximately 84.1 million adults aged 18 years or older had prediabetes in 2015, based on their fasting glucose or A1C level.
- In 2015, among U.S. adults aged 18 years or older, there was an estimated 1.5 million new cases of diabetes.
- One in four older adults have diabetes. Nearly three-quarters of adults aged 65 years or older had diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- In 2013-2015, the overall prevalence was higher among American Indians/Alaska Natives (15.1%), non-Hispanic blacks (12.7%), and those of Hispanic ethnicity (12.1%) than among non-Hispanic whites (7.4%) and Asians (8.0%).
- The prevalence of diagnosed diabetes in adults greater than 18 years old continues to increase from 7.3% in 2005 to 8.7% in 2015.
- References include:
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 4, 2020
German, Jashalynn, and Estelle Everett. "Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/1/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes.
German J, Everett E. Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/1/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes. Accessed June 10, 2023.
German, J., & Everett, E. (2020). Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/1/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes
German J, Everett E. Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2020. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/1/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Epidemiology of Type 2 Diabetes ID - 547049 A1 - German,Jashalynn,M.D. AU - Everett,Estelle,M.D. Y1 - 2020/10/04/ BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547049/1/Epidemiology_of_Type_2_Diabetes DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -