Eating Disorders in Diabetes
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- A group of psychiatric illnesses including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and other eating disorders not otherwise specified (e.g. binge eating disorder, avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder, night eating syndrome) with potentially life-threatening health impact.
- Anorexia nervosa is characterized by self-starvation and excessive weight loss, and an intense fear of weight gain.
- Bulimia nervosa is characterized by a secretive cycle of binge eating (eating large amounts of food - more than most people would eat in one meal - in short periods of time) followed by purging (getting rid of the food and calories through vomiting, laxative abuse, or over-exercising).
- Binge eating disorder is characterized by feeling compelled to consume a large number of calories (i.e. 10,000 calories) over a specified time period.
- In patients with diabetes, one common purging manifestation is deliberate insulin omission and restriction.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: June 26, 2015
Lazo, Mariana, and Mimi Huizinga. "Eating Disorders in Diabetes." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547045/all/Eating_Disorders_in_Diabetes.
Lazo M, Huizinga M. Eating Disorders in Diabetes. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547045/all/Eating_Disorders_in_Diabetes. Accessed May 20, 2019.
Lazo, M., & Huizinga, M. (2015). Eating Disorders in Diabetes. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547045/all/Eating_Disorders_in_Diabetes
Lazo M, Huizinga M. Eating Disorders in Diabetes [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 May 20]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547045/all/Eating_Disorders_in_Diabetes.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Eating Disorders in Diabetes
ID - 547045
A1 - Lazo,Mariana,M.D.
AU - Huizinga,Mimi,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/06/26/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547045/all/Eating_Disorders_in_Diabetes
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine