Bone Mineral Density
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Bone mineral density (BMD) is a measure of mineral content for a given bone area or volume.
- Osteoporosis is a systemic skeletal disorder characterized by low bone mineral density and microarchitectural deterioration of bone tissue with consequent increase in bone fragility and susceptibility to fracture.
- Bone architecture consists of minerals (calcium, phosphorus) which form hydroxyapatite crystals, as well as type I collagen and other proteins.
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM): BMD lower than age-matched healthy population; at higher risk for fracture compared to age-matched population.
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM): BMD normal to higher than age-matched healthy population; may be at higher risk for fracture despite normal to high BMD.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 3, 2015
Moseley, Kendall, and Todd T Brown. "Bone Mineral Density." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547021/all/Bone_Mineral_Density.
Moseley K, Brown TT. Bone Mineral Density. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547021/all/Bone_Mineral_Density. Accessed August 19, 2019.
Moseley, K., & Brown, T. T. (2015). Bone Mineral Density. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547021/all/Bone_Mineral_Density
Moseley K, Brown TT. Bone Mineral Density [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 August 19]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547021/all/Bone_Mineral_Density.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Bone Mineral Density
ID - 547021
A1 - Moseley,Kendall,M.D.
AU - Brown,Todd,M.D., Ph.D.
Y1 - 2015/01/03/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547021/all/Bone_Mineral_Density
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine