Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Bone Mineral Density
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Bone mineral density (BMD) is a measure of mineral content for a given bone area or volume.
- Osteoporosis is a systemic skeletal disorder characterized by low bone mineral density and microarchitectural deterioration of bone tissue with consequent increase in bone fragility and susceptibility to fracture.
- Bone architecture consists of minerals (calcium, phosphorus) which form hydroxyapatite crystals, as well as type I collagen and other proteins.
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM): BMD lower than age-matched healthy population; at higher risk for fracture compared to age-matched population.
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM): BMD normal to higher than age-matched healthy population; may be at higher risk for fracture despite normal to high BMD.