- Osteoporosis and low bone density/osteopenia are important bone diseases observed in type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), characterized by decreased bone mass and structural deterioration of bone tissue, leading to bone fragility and increased susceptibility to fracture.
- On bone density measurements via dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA): a T-score greater than -1.0 standard deviations (SD) is considered normal bone density, a score between -1.0 to -2.5 SD is low bone density/osteopenia, and a score equal to or below -2.5 SD is osteoporosis; Z-scores are used for men < 50 years and pre menopausal women.
- A Z-score less than or equal to -2.0 in young individuals is defined as low bone density for age.
- Osteomalacia is softening of the bone resulting from impaired bone mineralization with calcium, vitamin D, and phosphorus.
- Charcot foot is a result of bone loss in the foot or ankle causing microfractures, ligament laxity and bony destruction, exacerbated by neuropathy and patient’s inability to perceive ongoing trauma.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: July 4, 2020
Moseley, Kendall. "Bone Disease." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547020/all/Bone_Disease.
Moseley K. Bone Disease. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547020/all/Bone_Disease. Accessed May 30, 2023.
Moseley, K. (2020). Bone Disease. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547020/all/Bone_Disease
Moseley K. Bone Disease [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2020. [cited 2023 May 30]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547020/all/Bone_Disease.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Bone Disease ID - 547020 A1 - Moseley,Kendall,M.D. Y1 - 2020/07/04/ BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547020/all/Bone_Disease DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -