Bladder Disorders in Diabetes
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Bladder dysfunction in diabetes mellitus (DM) spans a spectrum from lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) such as incontinence to bladder cystopathy.
- Detrusor muscle, neurologic, and urothelial dysfunction underlie bladder dysfunction in DM.
- Urge incontinence: involuntary loss of urine while feeling a need to urinate. Usually due to neurogenic detrusor overactivity (i.e., spastic bladder)
- Stress incontinence: involuntary loss of urine that occurs during physical activity, such as coughing, sneezing, laughing, or exercise. Usually due to weak pelvic floor muscles.
- Bladder cystopathy: decreased bladder sensation and contractility resulting in urinary retention, the most severe bladder disorder in DM. Usually due to autonomic neuropathy (also known as neurogenic bladder).
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: September 4, 2017
Tseng, Eva, and Nisa Maruthur. "Bladder Disorders in Diabetes." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547019/all/Bladder_Disorders_in_Diabetes.
Tseng E, Maruthur N. Bladder Disorders in Diabetes. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547019/all/Bladder_Disorders_in_Diabetes. Accessed September 15, 2019.
Tseng, E., & Maruthur, N. (2017). Bladder Disorders in Diabetes. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547019/all/Bladder_Disorders_in_Diabetes
Tseng E, Maruthur N. Bladder Disorders in Diabetes [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2019 September 15]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547019/all/Bladder_Disorders_in_Diabetes.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Bladder Disorders in Diabetes
ID - 547019
A1 - Tseng,Eva,M.D.
AU - Maruthur,Nisa,M.D., M.H.S.
Y1 - 2017/09/04/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547019/all/Bladder_Disorders_in_Diabetes
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine