is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Surgical removal of all or part of an extremity - leg, foot, toe, arm or finger, or other outgrowth of the body.
- Minor lower extremity amputation (LEA): toe(s), ray(s), transmetatarsal and mid-foot amputation.
- Major lower extremity amputation (LEA): below-knee-transtibial amputation (BKA) of the lower leg distal to the tibial tuberosity; above-knee-amputation (AKA) of the leg through the femur (supracondylar, midthigh or high thigh).
- Guillotine amputation: an open amputation for uncontrolled pedal sepsis, through a circular incision down bone, allowing for quick removal of septic focus and direct examination of muscle compartments for extension of infection.
- Auto-amputation: Dry gangrene allowed to demarcate and proceed to amputation without surgical intervention.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: December 14, 2015
Sanders, Lee J. "Amputations." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547006/all/Amputations.
Sanders LJ. Amputations. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547006/all/Amputations. Accessed November 21, 2019.
Sanders, L. J. (2015). Amputations. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547006/all/Amputations
Sanders LJ. Amputations [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2015. [cited 2019 November 21]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547006/all/Amputations.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Amputations
ID - 547006
A1 - Sanders,Lee,D.P.M.
Y1 - 2015/12/14/
BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547006/all/Amputations
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine