Thomas Donner, M.D.
Dr. Donner is the Director of The Johns Hopkins Diabetes Center. He has been a clinical investigator in a number of NIH- and industry-funded diabetes research trials. He was a co-PI in the NIH-funded Veterans Affairs Implantable Insulin Pump Study, a Co-PI on the NIDDK-funded Diabetes Control and Complications Trial / Epidemiology of Diabetes Intervention and Complications (DCCT / EDIC) Study for 16 years, and Co-PI for the Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation 2 Diabetes (BARI 2D) for 7 years. He have served as PI for the Durable-response therapy Evaluation For Early or New-onset type 1 Diabetes (DEFEND-1), and served on the study’s steering and writing committees. Dr. Donner previously worked with the Johns Hopkins Evidence-based Practice Center as an expert in diabetes to identify high-priority research needs for insulin delivery systems and glucose monitoring devices.
Dr. Donner is currently collaborating with immunologists at Johns Hopkins on preventing B-regulatory cell apoptosis using a novel monoclonal antibody targeting the presumptive apoptotic factor. This antibody prevents the development of type 1 diabetes in non obese diabetic mice. I am a PI for Johns Hopkins for TrialNet, a multicenter, international consortium of investigators studying ways to prevent Type 1 diabetes and preserve insulin secretion in individuals with newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes. Dr. Donner is a PI for a study investigating FIAsp, a faster-acting insulin aspart in subjects with type 1 diabetes.
Dr. Donner has served on the Endocrine Society Self-Assessment Committee since 2013 which annually updates the Endocrine Self-Assessment Program and Maintenance of Certification modules, and the American Diabetes Association’s Professional Practice Committee beginning in 2014, which oversees the writing of the annual Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes.
- Saudek CD, Duckworth WC, Giobbie-Hurder A, Henderson WG, Henry, RR, Kelley DE, Edelman SV, Zieve FJ, Adler RA, Anderson JW, Anderson RJ, Hamilton BP, Donner TW, Kirkman S, Morgan NA. Implantable insulin pump vs. multiple-dose insulin for non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. JAMA 1996;276:1322-1327.
- Duckworth WC, Saudek CD, Giobbie-Hurder A, Henderson WG, Henry RR, Kelley DE, Edelman SV, Zieve FJ, Adler RA, Anderson JW, Anderson RJ, Hamilton BP, Donner TW, Kirkman MS, Morgan NA, for the Department of Veterans Affairs Implantable Insulin Pump Study Group. The Veterans Affairs Implantable Insulin Pump Study: effect on cardiovascular risk factors. Diabetes Care 1998; 21:1596-1602.
- Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (EDIC) Research Group: Effect of intensive diabetes treatment on carotid artery wall thickness in the Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications. Diabetes 1999; 48:383-390.
- Cox DJ, Gonder-Frederick LA, Kovatchev BP, Young-Hyman DL, Donner TW, Julian DM, Clarke WL. Biopsychobehavioral Model of Severe Hypoglycemia II. Diabetes Care 1999; 22:2018-2025.
- Donner TW, Wilber JF, Ostrowski D. D-Tagatose, a Novel Hexose: Acute Effects on Carbohydrate Tolerance in Subjects With and Without Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism 1999; 1:285-291.
- The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT)/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (EDIC) Research Group. Effect of Intensive Therapy on the Microvascular Complications of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. JAMA 2002; 287:2563-2569.
- Dixon L, Kreyenbuhl J, Dickerson F, Donner T, Brown C, Wohlheiter K, Postrado L, Goldberg R, Messias E, Fang LJ. A comparison of Type 2 diabetes outcomes among individuals with and without severe mental illnesses. Psychiatric Services 2004; 55:892-900.
- The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT)/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (EDIC) Research Group. Intensive diabetes treatment and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2643-53.
- Kharlip J, Naglieri R., Mitchell B D, Ryan, K A, Donner, T W Screening for Silent Coronary Heart Disease in Type 2 Diabetes: Clinical application of American Diabetes Association guidelines. Diabetes Care 2006; 29:692-694.
- Donner T. Tight Control of Hyperglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes. Insulin 2006; 1:166-172.Donner T, Flammer, K. Diabetes Management in the Hospital. Med Clin N Am 2008;92(2):407- 425.
- Fernandez-Egea E, Bernardo M, Donner T, Conget I, Parellada E, Justicia A, Esmatjes E, Garcia-Rizo C, Kirkpatrick B. The Metabolic Profile of Antipsychotic-Naive Patients with Nonaffective Psychosis. Brit J Psych 2009;194:434-438.
- The BARI 2D Study Group. A Randomized Trial of Therapies for Type 2 Diabetes and Coronary Artery Disease. N Engl J Med 2009;360:2503-2515.
- Lee HJ, Chapa D, Kao CW, Jones D, Kapustin J, Smith J, Krichten C, Donner T, Thomas SA, Friedmann E. Depression, quality of life, and glycemic control in individuals with type 2 diabetes. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2009;21(4):214-24.
- Shaya F, Yan X, Lin PJ, Simoni-Wastila L, Bron M, Baran R, Donner T. US trends in glycemic control, treatment, and comorbidity burden in patients with diabetes. J Clin Hypertens 2010;12(10):826-32.
- Donner T, Magder L, Zarbalian K. Dietary supplementation with D-tagatose in subjects with type 2 diabetes leads to weight loss and raises HDL cholesterol. Nutrition Research 2010;30:801-6.
- Donner T, Munoz M. Update on Insulin Therapy for Type 2 Diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012;97:1405-1413.
- Hamad A, Arcara K, Uddin S, Donner T. Potentials of Fas ligand (apoptosis-inducing molecule) as an unconventional therapeutic target in type 1 diabetes. Front Immun. 2012;3:1-8.
- Joshi PH, Kalyani RR, Blumenthal RS, Donner T. Cardiovascular effects of noninsulin, glucose-lowering agents: need for more outcomes data. Am J Cardiol. 2012 Nov 6;110(9 Suppl):32B-42B.
- Bach RG, Brooks MM, Lombardero M, Genuth S, Donner TW, Garber A, Kennedy L, Monrad ES, Pop-Busui, R, Kelsey, SF, Frye RL, and the BARI 2D Investigators. Rosiglitazone and Outcomes for Patients with Diabetes and Coronary Artery Disease in the Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation 2 Diabetes (BARI 2D) Trial. Circulation, 2013;128(8):785-794.
- Yeh HC, Lau BD, Golden SH, Donner T, Brown TT, Bass EB. High-priority research needs for insulin delivery and glucose monitoring methods. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2013;7(6):1650-1
- Saudek, Christopher, Richard Rubin, and Thomas Donner. The Johns Hopkins Guide to Diabetes, Second Edition. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2014.
- Ambery P, Donner TW, Biswas N, Donaldson J, Parkin J, Dayan CM. Efficacy and safety of low-dose otelixizumab anti-CD3 monoclonal antibody: DEFEND-2, a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicenter study. Diabet Med. 2014;31(4):399-402
- Dalkin Alan, Shez Basaria, Maria Collazo-Clavell, Kathryn Dahir, Thomas Donner, James Findling, Pamela Freda, Marie Freel M, Jennifer Green, Shubhada Jagasia, Suzanne Jan de Beur, Jacqueline Jonklaas, Susan Mandel, Lisa Tannock, Adrian Vella, Corrine Welt. ESAP 2014: Endocrine Self-Assessment Program. Washington DC; Endocrine Press; 2014.
1994- Member, American Diabetes Association
1994- Member, Endocrine Society
Dr. Donner is a principle investigator for a research study funded by Novo Nordisk
To view other topics, please log in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Complete Product Information.