- Non-motile Gram-negative bacillus; may appear as slender rods or coccobacilli. [Fig 1and Fig 2]
- Usually recovered in anaerobic cultures.
- Previously described as a Bacteroides species, reclassified under the genus Prevotella.
- Slow grower, some species require > 48 hrs incubation.
- As for all anaerobic bacteria, diagnosis of Prevotella spp. infections require specialized techniques for transport, isolation, processing and identification.
- More than 50 species of Prevotella have been identified.
- In oral and head-and-neck infections, common isolates were Prevotella intermedia and Prevotella melaninogenica within the pigmented species as well as Prevotella oris and Prevotella oralis group within the non-pigmented species.
- Prevotella species are intrinsically resistant to aminoglycosides, aztreonam, trimethoprim, sulfonamides and fosfomycin.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.