- Aerobic, fastidious organism; easier to cultivate than M. genitalium.
- Differs from bacteria due to smaller size, sterols in the membrane and lack of a cell wall.
- Due to the lack of a cell wall, M. hominis:
- Is intrinsically resistant to β-lactams
- Cannot be detected on Gram stain
- It differs from M. genitalium because it is intrinsically resistant to 14-member macrolides (erythromycin and clarithromycin; see discussion below).
- M. hominis grows on blood or chocolate agar plates and broth cultures.
- Visible colonies in 2 - 5 days.
- Colonies are very small (0.2mm) and translucent, so that they can be easily missed. They have a "fried egg" appearance on agar [Fig, denser in the center and less dense in the periphery].
- Communicate with the micro lab if you suspect Mycoplasma hominis infection so they can use media that favors Mycoplasma hominis growth.
- M. hominis in blood culture systems appears to be inhibited by the anticoagulant polyanethole sulfonate which can be neutralized by adding gelatin to a 1% concentration in the blood culture medium, but this is not done routinely.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: February 4, 2023
Fabre, Valeria. "Mycoplasma Hominis." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540644/all/Mycoplasma_hominis.
Fabre V. Mycoplasma hominis. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540644/all/Mycoplasma_hominis. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Fabre, V. (2023). Mycoplasma hominis. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540644/all/Mycoplasma_hominis
Fabre V. Mycoplasma Hominis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540644/all/Mycoplasma_hominis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Mycoplasma hominis ID - 540644 A1 - Fabre,Valeria,M.D. Y1 - 2023/02/04/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540644/all/Mycoplasma_hominis PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -