- Simeprevir was withdrawn from the U.S. market in 2018 due to obsoleteness as newer anti-HCV agents were approved. These agents are active against multiple genotypes and are better tolerated. It was also removed from the WHO Essential Medications List.
- Combined with Peg-IFN and ribavirin, simeprevir is FDA-indicated for treating HCV genotype 1 in patients with compensated liver disease (including cirrhosis).
- Since lower efficacy has been observed in some studies in patients infected with HCV genotype 1a with NS3 Q80K* polymorphism, screening for this polymorphism at baseline is recommended if simeprevir use is planned.
- If NS3 Q80K polymorphism is detected, the use of an alternative directly acting HCV regimen should be considered.
*In clinical trials, the prevalence of Q80K polymorphism was observed in 30% of patients infected with HCV genotype 1a and only 0.5% in patients infected with HCV genotype 1b.
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
Simeprevir plus sofosbuvir +/- ribavirin is a recommended first-line regimen for treating HCV genotype 1a and 1b. NS3 Q80K polymorphism for genotype 1a did not significantly impact sustained virologic response to this regimen.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: March 21, 2023
Dzintars, Kathryn, and Paul A Pham. "Simeprevir." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540636/8/Simeprevir.
Dzintars K, Pham A. Simeprevir. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540636/8/Simeprevir. Accessed June 5, 2023.
Dzintars, K., & Pham, . A. (2023). Simeprevir. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540636/8/Simeprevir
Dzintars K, Pham A. Simeprevir [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 June 05]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540636/8/Simeprevir.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Simeprevir ID - 540636 A1 - Dzintars,Kathryn,Pharm.D., BCPS AU - Pham, Paul ,Pharm.D. Y1 - 2023/03/21/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540636/8/Simeprevir PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -