Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Bacterial and/or respiratory viral pathogens can be isolated from middle ear aspirates from children with acute otitis media (AOM).
- In the era of pneumococcal conjugate vaccination, the most common bacteria implicated in AOM:
- Streptococcus pneumoniae (~30%)
- Nontypable Haemophilus influenzae (~30%)
- Moraxella catarrhalis (~15%)
- Pathogens occasionally involved in AOM include: Streptococcus pyogenes, Staphylococcus aureus and oral anaerobic bacteria.
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa may be present in middle ear fluid in children with chronic otitis media.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: April 29, 2014
Tamma, Pranita. "Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2014. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media__Pediatric.
Tamma P. Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2014. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media__Pediatric. Accessed May 26, 2019.
Tamma, P. (2014). Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media__Pediatric
Tamma P. Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2014. [cited 2019 May 26]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media__Pediatric.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric
ID - 540632
A1 - Tamma,Pranita,M.D.
Y1 - 2014/04/29/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media__Pediatric
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine