Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- DNA virus member of Herpesviridae family.
- Humans only known reservoir.
- Primary infection spread by respiratory route with viral latency established in nerves.
- Latent VZV found in dorsal root ganglia and cranial nerve ganglia.
- By adulthood 90-95% infected (pre-vaccine era).