- Aerobic Gram-negative rod (Fig), non-motile, non-spore-forming), family Enterobacteriaceae.
- Four groups: subdivided into serotypes and subserotypes based upon lipopolysaccharide O antigenic repeats.
- Group A (S. dysenteriae, see separate module for discussion of Group A infections, often cause of pandemics arising from natural and man-made disasters)
- Group B (S. flexneri, leading cause in low- and middle-income countries)
- Group C (S. boydii, relatively uncommon cause)
- Group D (S. sonnei, the leading diarrhea cause in high-income countries)
- >46 serotypes mean low protective immunity develops when exposed to new infections to prevent the next.
- In clinical microbiology laboratories, MacConkey or EMB agar yields the best growth in addition to Shigella-Salmonella agar.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: March 2, 2023
Auwaerter, Paul G. "Shigella Species." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540502/all/Shigella_species.
Auwaerter PG. Shigella species. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540502/all/Shigella_species. Accessed June 9, 2023.
Auwaerter, P. G. (2023). Shigella species. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540502/all/Shigella_species
Auwaerter PG. Shigella Species [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 June 09]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540502/all/Shigella_species.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Shigella species ID - 540502 A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D. Y1 - 2023/03/02/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540502/all/Shigella_species PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -