Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Aerobic Gram-negative rod (non-motile, non-spore forming), family Enterobacteriaceae.
- Four groups: subdivided into serotypes and subserotypes based upon lipopolysaccharide O antigenic repeats.
- Group A (S. dysenteriae see separate module for discussion of Group A infections, often cause of pandemics arising from natural and man-made disasters)
- Group B (S. flexneri, leading cause in low- and middle-income countries)
- Group C (S. boydii, relatively uncommon cause)
- Group D (S. sonnei, leading diarrhea cause in high income countries)
- >46 serotypes mean that there is often little protective immunity offered when exposed to new infections.
- In clinical microbiology laboratories, MacConkey or EMB agar in addition to Shigella-Salmonella agar yields best growth.