Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Helminths (Phylum Platyhelminthes, Class Trematoda) that cause schistosomiasis AKA blood flukes or bilharzia.
- Highly prevalent throughout tropical and lower resource countries.
- Three major species, geographically distinct:
- S. mansoni (Africa, Middle East, Caribbean, South America)
- S. haematobium (Africa, Middle East)
- S. japonicum (China, Southeast Asia, Philippines)
- Minor species:
- S. intercalatum (West and Central Africa, usually a cause of lower GI tract disease)
- S. mekongi (Laos, Cambodia)