Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Aerobic, Gram-negative rod, 2-4 x 0.4-0.6µm.
- Grows on standard media from stool source, but need fresh specimen.
- Enrichment broth (tetrathionate or selenite) may help growth when organisms present in low numbers.
- Salmonella enterica serovars typhi and paratyphi cause enteric fever.
- Non-typhoidal Salmonella spp. cause enterocolitis and are a major cause of food-borne infection, primarily from poultry and eggs.