Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Aerobic, Gram-negative rod, 2-4 x 0.4-0.6µm.
- Grows on standard media from stool source, but need fresh specimen.
- Enrichment broth (tetrathionate or selenite) may help growth when organisms present in low numbers.
- Salmonella enterica causes "enteric fever" due to serotypes typhi (typhoid fever) and paratyphi A, B and C.
- S. paratyphi A is the most common cause of paratyphoid fever in the US.
- Non-typhoidal Salmonella spp. are a major bacterial cause food-borne infection, primarily from poultry and eggs and more recently from diverse sources including food borne epidemics and pet turtles.