Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Aerobic, Gram-negative rod, 2-4 x 0.4-0.6µm.
- Grows on standard media from stool source, but need fresh specimen.
- Enrichment broth (tetrathionate or selenite) may help growth when organisms present in low numbers.
- Salmonella enterica causes "enteric fever" due to serotypes typhi (typhoid fever) and paratyphi A, B and C.
- S. paratyphi A is the most common cause of paratyphoid fever in the US.
- Non-typhoidal Salmonella spp. are a major bacterial cause food-borne infection, primarily from poultry and eggs and more recently from diverse sources including food borne epidemics and pet turtles.