Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- All forms of tuberculosis.
- Treatment of asymptomatic carriers of Neisseria meningitidis to eliminate meningococci from the nasopharynx.
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Prosthetic valve endocarditis caused by staphylococci in combination with other agents (e.g. oxacillin/nafcillin, vancomycin) after blood cultures have cleared.
- Prosthetic joint infections following debridement and retention of the prosthesis or 1-stage exchange.
- Meningitis caused by penicillin and ceftriaxone resistant S. pneumoniae
- Non-tuberculous mycobacterial infections (e.g. leprosy, MAC)
- Bartonella infections
- Q-fever and rickettsialinfections
- Cutaneous leishmaniasis
- Legionella infections
- Anthrax infections
- NOTE: Rifampin is usually used in combination with other agents due to quick emergence of resistance if used as monotherapy.