Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Single-strand, non-enveloped positive sense RNA virus; member of the Picornaviridae family of viruses.
- Over 105 serologic virus types. Human rhinovirus responsible for up to 0-80% of common colds.
- Species include RV-A (adults > children), RV-B (least common) and RV-C (new species, often more severe or disseminated in children)
- Rhinoviruses gain entry via the upper respiratory tract binding to ICAM-1 (intracellular adhesion molecule -1) receptors on epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract. Chemokines and cytokines cause inflammation as a consequence of viral infection causing local symptoms.
- Involvement of cell receptor believed to account for part of host effect and and pathogenesis.