is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Aerobic, Gram-negative, urease-splitting rod. It is a non-lactose fermenter, indole-negative, oxidase-negative but catalase- and nitrate-positive.
- "Swarms" on moist agar (many flagella per organism, see video as an example).
- The second most commonly isolated Enterobacteriaceae after E. coli in many series.
- Most common species: P. mirabilis (indole negative) causes 90% of infections.
- Other Proteus spp. are indole positive, e.g., P. vulgaris and P. penneri.
- Proteus rettgari now a member ofProvidencia spp., properly Providencia rettgari, often a highly resistant organism.
- Can raise urine pH due to urea-splitting activity.
- P. mirabilis is usually resistant to tetracycline and nitrofurantoin, while 10-20% are resistant to ampicillin or cephalexin. P. vulgaris usually resistant to ampicillin or cephalexin/cefazolin.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: June 6, 2019
Auwaerter, Paul. "Proteus Species." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2019. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540454/all/Proteus_species.
Auwaerter P. Proteus species. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540454/all/Proteus_species. Accessed August 23, 2019.
Auwaerter, P. (2019). Proteus species. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540454/all/Proteus_species
Auwaerter P. Proteus Species [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. [cited 2019 August 23]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540454/all/Proteus_species.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Proteus species
ID - 540454
A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D.
Y1 - 2019/06/06/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540454/all/Proteus_species
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine