Pneumonia, Community-Acquired (Adult)
- Commonly seen organisms are listed below:
- Streptococcus pneumoniae
- Haemophilus influenzae
- Moraxella catarrhalis
- Chlamydophila pneumoniae
- Legionella species
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae
- Viruses: SARS-CoV-2, influenza A, RSV, parainfluenza, adenovirus, human metapneumovirus, rhinovirus
- A CDC 2015 report of extensive microbiologic testing of 2,300 adults hospitalized for CAP showed the most common pathogens were rhinovirus (9%), influenza (6%), and S. pneumonia (5%), with no pathogen detected in 62%.
- Occasional pathogens that may need to be considered in the setting of suspected community-acquired pneumonia, e.g., if immunocompromised or in other special situations:
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 9, 2022
Auwaerter, Paul G. "Pneumonia, Community-Acquired (Adult)." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2022. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540442/0/Pneumonia_Community_Acquired__Adult_.
Auwaerter PG. Pneumonia, Community-Acquired (Adult). Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540442/0/Pneumonia_Community_Acquired__Adult_. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Auwaerter, P. G. (2022). Pneumonia, Community-Acquired (Adult). In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540442/0/Pneumonia_Community_Acquired__Adult_
Auwaerter PG. Pneumonia, Community-Acquired (Adult) [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540442/0/Pneumonia_Community_Acquired__Adult_.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Pneumonia, Community-Acquired (Adult) ID - 540442 A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D. Y1 - 2022/10/09/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540442/0/Pneumonia_Community_Acquired__Adult_ PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -