Pancreatitis and Infected Pancreatic Necrosis
- The most common causes of pancreatitis are noninfectious (gallstones and alcohol).
- Infectious causes include the following pathogens:
- Viruses: mumps, Coxsackie virus (and other enteroviruses), CMV, varicella zoster virus (VZV), HSV, acute HIV, hepatitis B, SARS-coronavirus-2
- Bacteria: Mycoplasma spp., Legionella, Leptospira, Salmonella spp.
- Fungi: cryptococcus (HIV pts), PCP, aspergillus
- Parasites: Toxoplasma gondii, Cryptosporidia, Ascaris, Strongyloides, Clonorchis
- Infected pancreatic necrosis: usually caused by bowel flora (gram-negative, gram-positive and anaerobic organisms). Resistant bacterial and fungal infection may occur, especially if patients have received prior antibiotics.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: February 17, 2023
McKenzie, Robin. "Pancreatitis and Infected Pancreatic Necrosis." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540414/all/Pancreatitis_and_Infected_Pancreatic_Necrosis.
McKenzie R. Pancreatitis and Infected Pancreatic Necrosis. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540414/all/Pancreatitis_and_Infected_Pancreatic_Necrosis. Accessed June 1, 2023.
McKenzie, R. (2023). Pancreatitis and Infected Pancreatic Necrosis. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540414/all/Pancreatitis_and_Infected_Pancreatic_Necrosis
McKenzie R. Pancreatitis and Infected Pancreatic Necrosis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540414/all/Pancreatitis_and_Infected_Pancreatic_Necrosis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Pancreatitis and Infected Pancreatic Necrosis ID - 540414 A1 - McKenzie,Robin,M.D. Y1 - 2023/02/17/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540414/all/Pancreatitis_and_Infected_Pancreatic_Necrosis PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -