Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- OPAT: defined as the use of parenteral antibiotics outside of the acute care setting.
- Infusions can be administered in and by:
- Skilled nursing facility by staff members
- Outpatient infusion centers by nurses
- In the home by patient and/or family with support from home nursing professionals available
- Typically home nurses perform education on first initiation of home-based OPAT and then return to the home weekly for assessments, laboratory test draws, venous catheter dressing changes.
- In the home by home nursing professionals (unusual in the U.S.)
- In the home by patient and family without support from home nursing professionals
- Patients return to a clinic weekly for assessment, medication distribution.