Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Uncomplicated acute illness due to influenza A and B infection in patients > 2 weeks of age and older who have been symptomatic for no more than 2 days.
- Efficacy not established (by prospective trials) if symptom onset > 48h duration.
- Prophylaxis of influenza in ages ≥ 1 yr of age.
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Severe illness due to influenza A and B infection in immunocompromised and elderly pts who are hospitalized, even if > 48h symptoms--though limited data regarding efficacy 3 - 5 days post symptom onset.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend the use of oseltamivir for prophylaxis in infants > 3 months of age.