Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Slow growing, pigmented AFB, photochromogenic non-tubercular mycobacterium (NTM).
- Grows best at 30-33°C on LJ slants, usually within 7-21d.
- Reservoir: water and marine organisms with worldwide distribution.
- Survives in fresh or salt water.
- Previously called M. balnei.
- Usually resistant to INH, PAS; reduced susceptibilities to streptomycin.