Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Slow-growing acid fast bacillus (AFB), non-tubercular mycobactera (NTM).
- Growth on Löwenstein-Jensen media or Middlebrook 7H10 agar, typically seen > 7 days at 37ºC, although 25ºC is optimal.
- Scotochromogenic (smooth yellow to orange colonial formation) if growing in presence of light.
- Old classification: Runyon Group 2.
- Ubiquitous; reservoir is water (natural and tap) as well as soil. Often referred to as the "tap water bacillus."
- Growth usually takes 3 weeks or more at 37°C.