- Facultative anaerobic, nonencapsulated Gram-negative rod [M. morganii].
- Morganella only has a single member in its genus M. morganii and two subspecies: M. morganii and M. sibonii, which differ only in trehalose fermentation.
- Antimicrobial susceptibility:
- Naturally resistant to penicillin, ampicillin, first- and second-generation cephalosporins, fosfomycin, and macrolides.
- Beta-lactamase is inducible, AmpC type but less commonly seen than with Enterobacter and Serratia.
- Tigecycline is not reliably effective due to the ArcAB efflux pump, although it may show synergy in vitro with other antimicrobials.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.