Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Facultative anaerobic Gram-negative rod.
- Non-lactose fermenter in the same family as Proteus.
- Environmentally ubiquitous, part of normal colonic flora.
- "Urea splitter," but stones seen less frequently than Proteus due to less effective urease enzyme.
- Morganella only has single member in its genus M. morganii, and two subspecies: M. morganii and M. sibonii, which differ only in trehalose fermentation.
- Antimicrobial susceptibility:
- Naturally resistant to penicillin, first-, second-generation cephalosporins, macrolides, sulfamethoxazole.
- Beta-lactamase is inducible, chromosomal AmpC type.
- Production of extended spectrum beta-lactamases, including carbapenemases Amber class B -such as New Delhi metallo-β-lactamase 1 (NDM-1)- and Amber class D -such as OXA-181- as well as fluoroquinolone resistance have been reported
- Tigecycline not reliably effective due to ArcAB efflux pump, although may show synergy in vitro with other antimicrobials.