Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Ectoparasites that cause an infestation rather than infection.
- Lice live on human hosts by blood meals after piercing skin and injecting saliva that then causes pruritus.
- Lice can survive away from the human host for up to 10 days, after which time they die of starvation.
- 3 species infests humans:
- Phthirus pubis (crab louse, pubic louse)
- Pediculus humanus humanus (body louse)
- Pediculus humanus capitis (head louse)
- Life cycle: female lives 1-3 months, lays up to 300 eggs (nits). Nits hatch in 6-10 days giving rise to nymphs which become adults in 10 days.