- Acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis (ABECB)
- Acute bacterial sinusitis
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infections
- Note: use of levofloxacin for these indications should be avoided due to FDA warnings (black box warnings) regarding serious side effects and potentially permanent (tendinitis and tendon rupture, peripheral neuropathy and CNS side effects). FDA safety warning regarding Fluoroquinolone use
- Pneumonia: community-acquired pneumonia and nosocomial pneumonia
- Inhalational anthrax (post-exposure)
- Uncomplicated and complicated skin and soft tissue infections (not MRSA)
- Complicated urinary tract infections
- Acute pyelonephritis
- Bacterial conjunctivitis (Quixin 0.5% ophthalmic drops)
- Treatment of corneal ulcer (1.5% ophthalmic solution)
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis
- Treatment of M. tuberculosis, including MDR and XDR-TB (in combination with other agents)
- Treatment of MAI and other non-TB mycobacterial infections (in combination with other agents)
- Alternative therapy for treating S. pneumoniae and H. influenzae meningitis in patients with severe penicillin allergies.
- Bone and joint infections
- Intra-abdominal infections in combination with metronidazole
- H. pylori, in combination with other agents
- Prophylaxis in neutropenic patients
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 18, 2022
Auwaerter, Paul G, and Edina Avdic. "Levofloxacin." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2022. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540312/all/Levofloxacin.
Auwaerter PG, Avdic E. Levofloxacin. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540312/all/Levofloxacin. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Auwaerter, P. G., & Avdic, E. (2022). Levofloxacin. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540312/all/Levofloxacin
Auwaerter PG, Avdic E. Levofloxacin [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540312/all/Levofloxacin.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Levofloxacin ID - 540312 A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D. AU - Avdic,Edina,Pharm.D. Y1 - 2022/10/18/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540312/all/Levofloxacin PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -