is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Acid fast bacillus (AFB) morphologically resembles tubercle bacillus.
- M. leprae seen worldwide, but most common in Asia, Central and South America. Brazil, India, and Indonesia contribute 80% to the global new case load.
- Newly identified species M. lepromatosis sp nov has been proposed as causing disseminated leprosy.
- Slow-growing. Obligate intracellular pathogen, average doubling time ~2 weeks. Cannot culture in microbiology lab.
- Armadillos and immunocompromised mice used to grow M. leprae for research purposes.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 7, 2016
Auwaerter, Paul G, and Valeria Fabre. "Mycobacterium Leprae." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/0/Mycobacterium_leprae.
Auwaerter PG, Fabre V. Mycobacterium leprae. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/0/Mycobacterium_leprae. Accessed July 15, 2019.
Auwaerter, P. G., & Fabre, V. (2016). Mycobacterium leprae. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/0/Mycobacterium_leprae
Auwaerter PG, Fabre V. Mycobacterium Leprae [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 July 15]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/0/Mycobacterium_leprae.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Mycobacterium leprae
ID - 540310
A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D.
AU - Fabre,Valeria,M.D.
Y1 - 2016/01/07/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/0/Mycobacterium_leprae
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine