- JC virus (JCV) is a DNA polyomavirus discovered in 1971, isolated from patient John Cunningham.
- Other polyomaviruses:
- JCV is genetically closely related to BK and SV40 viruses.
- Other members of the human polyomavirus group include:
- Trichodysplasia spinulosa virus: associated with skin disease
- Merkel cell polyomavirus: associated with a rare form of skin cancer called Merkle cell cancer
- KI, WU, MW, human polyoma 6, 7, and 9 viruses: Found in human specimen, but no clear disease associations
- Oncogenic potential:
- Members of this DNA tumor virus family are well-known to cause tumors in rodents; however, except for Merkle cell cancer, oncologic potential in humans less certain.
- Some studies have linked the virus to human colorectal cancer, but this concept remains controversial.
- Structure and composition: All polyomaviruses (including JCV) are non-enveloped and contain double-stranded DNA
- 3 stage model of pathogenesis:
- Stage 1: Nonpathogenic virus establishes latent infection (generally in the kidney, but also other sites such as tonsils and immune cells ): Virus may gain access to CNS at this stage.
- Stage 2: Viral reactivation and accumulation of genetic alterations leading to the emergence of neurotropic variants: Virus may gain access to CNS at this stage.
- Stage 3: Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) with rapid viral replication in oligodendrocytes with resultant demyelinating disease.
- Other polyomaviruses:
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: July 4, 2021
Shoham, Shmuel, and Paul Auwaerter. "JC Virus." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2021. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540298/all/JC_Virus.
Shoham S, Auwaerter P. JC Virus. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2021. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540298/all/JC_Virus. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Shoham, S., & Auwaerter, P. (2021). JC Virus. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540298/all/JC_Virus
Shoham S, Auwaerter P. JC Virus [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2021. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540298/all/JC_Virus.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - JC Virus ID - 540298 A1 - Shoham,Shmuel,M.D. AU - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D. Y1 - 2021/07/04/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540298/all/JC_Virus PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -