Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Nematode parasite transmitted by mosquitoes.
- Most disease caused by species of tissue-dwelling nematodes, agents of lymphatic filiariasis:
- Wuchereria bancrofti (Asia, Africa, Latin America, Pacific islands)
- Onchocerca volvulus (Africa >> Latin America, Middle East)
- Brugia malayi (South-east Asia)
- Brugia timori (Indonesia)
- Transmitted by night- or day-biting mosquitoes (Anopheles, Culex).
- Other less common species involved include Mansonella perstans, M. streptocerca, and M. ozzardi.
- See Loa loa or Onchocerca volvulus modules for information on these filarial parasites.