Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Nematode parasite transmitted by mosquitoes.
- Most disease caused by species of tissue-dwelling nematodes, agents of lymphatic filiariasis:
- Wuchereria bancrofti (Asia, Africa, Latin America, Pacific islands)
- Onchocerca volvulus (Africa >> Latin America, Middle East)
- Brugia malayi (South-east Asia)
- Brugia timori (Indonesia)
- Transmitted by night- or day-biting mosquitoes (Anopheles, Culex).
- Other less common species involved include Mansonella perstans, M. streptocerca, and M. ozzardi.
- See Loa loa or Onchocerca volvulus modules for information on these filarial parasites.