Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Aerobe or facultative anaerobe, thin, pleomorphic Gram-positive rod.
- Zoonotic infection that more commonly infects turkeys, pigs and other animals than humans.
- E. rhusiopathiae is only genus within species.
- Culture isolation difficult. Slow grower in enriched blood media with 5-10% CO2.
- Intrinsically resistant to vancomycin, which commonly might be used empirically unless the organism is properly identified and distinguished from diphtheroids (Corynebacterium spp.) and Lactobacillus.
- Also usually resistant to aminoglycosides and sulfonamides.