is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Drug not currently available for use in the U.S.
- Also known as in the literature as entamide furoate or entamide.
- CDC conducted a study with investigational use of the drug between 1977-1990.
- Amebiasis limited to the GI lumen, caused by Entamoeba histolytica.
- As combination therapy with other antiprotozoals such as nitroimidazoles for the treatment of invasive or extraintestinal amebiasis. Diloxanide furoate is not a tissue amoebicide and therefore in extraintestinal infections of E. histolytica, another agent (specifically a "tissue amoebicide" like Metronidazole) should be considered for use in combination with diloxanide furoate.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 13, 2016
Pham, Paul A, and Kathryn Dzintars. "Diloxanide Furoate." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/5/Diloxanide_furoate.
Pham PA, Dzintars K. Diloxanide furoate. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/5/Diloxanide_furoate. Accessed July 20, 2019.
Pham, P. A., & Dzintars, K. (2016). Diloxanide furoate. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/5/Diloxanide_furoate
Pham PA, Dzintars K. Diloxanide Furoate [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 July 20]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/5/Diloxanide_furoate.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Diloxanide furoate
ID - 540198
A1 - Pham,Paul,Pharm.D. BCPS
AU - Dzintars,Kathryn,Pharm.D., BCPS
Y1 - 2016/01/13/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/5/Diloxanide_furoate
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine