- Facultatively anaerobic, fastidious, Gram-negative coccobacillary organism [Fig 1].
- Pits agar on culture plates [Fig 2, note: only ~50% of such colonies produce this pitting].
- Grows best if enhanced by 3-10% CO2.
- Eikenella corrodens is the primary human pathogen.
- Other species members described as rarely causing human illness are E. halliae sp. nov., and E. exigua sp. nov.
- Often found as a component of mixed infections.
- Member of the HACEK group of endocarditis-associated bacteria (Haemophilus spp., Actinobacillus, Cardiobacterium, Eikenella, Kingella).
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.