is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Ubiquitous, large, enveloped dsDNA betaherpesvirus; establishes lifelong latency after primary infection.
- Transmitted sexually or by close contact, blood or tissue exposure, perinatally. Cultured from urine, blood, throat, tears, stool, cervix, semen, breast milk.
- Seroprevalence increases with age. Adult seroprevalence rates range from 40-100% and are highest in developing countries.
- Exhibits slow growth in cultured cells (can be up to 6 weeks until cytopathic effect is detected in tissue culture) and cytopathology is characterized by large cells with nuclear (Cowdry owl’s eye) and cytoplasmic inclusions.
- Isolation of virus or detection of viral proteins or nucleic acid defines CMV infection. Presence of signs/symptoms of end organ disease + CMV infection = CMV disease.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: June 25, 2012
Spacek, Lisa A. "Cytomegalovirus." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2012. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540153/all/Cytomegalovirus.
Spacek LA. Cytomegalovirus. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2012. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540153/all/Cytomegalovirus. Accessed September 15, 2019.
Spacek, L. A. (2012). Cytomegalovirus. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540153/all/Cytomegalovirus
Spacek LA. Cytomegalovirus [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2012. [cited 2019 September 15]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540153/all/Cytomegalovirus.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Cytomegalovirus
ID - 540153
A1 - Spacek,Lisa,M.D., Ph.D.
Y1 - 2012/06/25/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540153/all/Cytomegalovirus
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine