- Single-celled coccidian parasite
- Member of family Eimeriidae, subclass Coccidiasina, subphylum Apicomplexa.
- Humans appear to be only known to have C. cayetanensis (no animal reservoirs have been identified).
- Infected persons shed unsporulated (non-infective) oocysts in feces.
- It takes ~1-2 weeks for oocysts to sporulate and become infective (therefore person-to-person transmission less likely).
- Other members (13) of Cyclospora found in animals including rodents, vipers.
- Cysts are 7.7-9.9 µm in diameter in stool appears as a sphere with morulae within [Fig 1].
- Autofluorescent under ultraviolet microscopy.
- It can be responsible for water- or food-borne outbreaks.
- Routine chemical disinfection or sanitizing methods of food and water don’t generally kill Cyclospora oocysts.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: March 8, 2020
Fabre, Valeria, and Paul G Auwaerter. "Cyclospora Cayetanensis." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540150/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis.
Fabre V, Auwaerter PG. Cyclospora cayetanensis. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540150/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Fabre, V., & Auwaerter, P. G. (2020). Cyclospora cayetanensis. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540150/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis
Fabre V, Auwaerter PG. Cyclospora Cayetanensis [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2020. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540150/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Cyclospora cayetanensis ID - 540150 A1 - Fabre,Valeria,M.D. AU - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D. Y1 - 2020/03/08/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540150/all/Cyclospora_cayetanensis PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -