Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile
- Spore-forming anaerobe, Gram-positive bacillus [Fig 1].
- Found in human and animal feces, also in water and soils.
- Reclassified as molecular sequencing suggests that the organism should be in the Peptostreptococcaceae family and termed Peptoclostridium.
- Produces toxins A and B that cause colitis in humans.
- Occasionally grown in anaerobic cultures, rarely a cause of infection other than colitis.
- Resistance described to metronidazole and high MICs correlates with poorer outcomes.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.