Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Obligate intracellular Gram negative bacteria.
- Grows like a virus (requires cell culture systems) but is a bacterium with RNA and DNA.
- As intracellular organism-parasite, requires host cell for ATP/GTP.
- Known to also cause disease in koalas, reptiles and amphibians.
- Elementary body is metabolically inactive form, has rigid cell wall that permits survival outside cell. Inside cell is seen as inclusion body.
- Incubation culture to positivity: average 21 d.
- Historically known as the "TWAR" agent, as two of the original isolates were from Taiwan.