- Chikungunya virus (CHKV): single positive-strand RNA arbovirus [Fig 1] of family Togaviridae, genus Alphavirus.
- A name taken from the East African/Mozambique Makonde language, "that which bends up," is believed to describe contortions due to severe joint pain.
- Human infection is vector-borne, primarily mosquitoes (e.g., Aedes albopictus, FIg 2)
- Outbreaks (2005-2006) in Indian Ocean islands may represent a more virulent strain than historically, as complications (meningoencephalitis, multiorgan dysfunction) and death were reported more frequently.
- Human disease, especially arthropathy, is similar to the alphavirus, Ross River virus infection.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.