- C. canimorsus (previously known as DF-2, dysgonic fermenter) and C. cynodegmi (previously known as DF-2-like organism) are fastidious, facultatively anaerobic Gram-negative rods, part of normal oral flora of dogs and cats.
- On Gram stain may be fusiform; older cultures may render pleomorphism.
- Slow-growing organisms are often incorrectly identified in clinical microbiology laboratories.
- C. cynodegmi is considered less virulent than C. canimorsus.
- Other Capnocytophaga species may be part of animal oral flora, or normal human oral flora/dental plaques, e.g., C. sputigena, C. canis, C. endodontalis sp. nov. and C. gingivalis.
- Organisms have a long, fusiform appearance on Gram stain, making it distinctive enough to consider morphologic identification pending cx results.
- Organisms are considered fastidious by the micro lab.
- Most strains are resistant to polymyxin, fusidic acid, fosfomycin and trimethoprim.
- Variably active: beta-lactams, erythromycin, quinolones, metronidazole, vancomycin, and aminoglycosides.
- Usually active: beta-lactam/beta-lactamase inhibitors and carbapenems.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 19, 2023
Auwaerter, Paul. "Capnocytophaga Spp." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540078/all/Capnocytophaga_spp_.
Auwaerter P. Capnocytophaga spp. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540078/all/Capnocytophaga_spp_. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Auwaerter, P. (2023). Capnocytophaga spp. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540078/all/Capnocytophaga_spp_
Auwaerter P. Capnocytophaga Spp [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540078/all/Capnocytophaga_spp_.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Capnocytophaga spp. ID - 540078 A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D. Y1 - 2023/01/19/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540078/all/Capnocytophaga_spp_ PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -