Burkholderia pseudomallei (Meloidosis)
- Aerobic Gram-negative rod [Fig 1], sometimes with a safety pin appearance [Fig 2].
- B. pseudomallei, member of Burkholderia genus.
- Two other members, B. thailandensis (SE Asia, Australia), and B. oklahomensis (Midwest U.S.), seen in environmental samples; unclear if the cause of the disease.
- Commonly found in surface waters and muddy soils, but the transmission mechanism remains unclear.
- Described as colonizing rhizospheres and plant structures.
- Culturing methods in laboratories:
- Ashdown’s media is favored if non-sterile specimens, such as respiratory specimens, are cultured.
- B. cepacia-selective media an alternative.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.