Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Pasteurella spp.
- P. multocida (cats and dogs)
- P. septica (cats)
- Capnocytophaga canimorsus (dogs): infrequent, but can be serious with asplenia or cirrhosis.
- Eikenella corrodens (humans)
- Streptococcus spp (all bites, especially S. anginosus)
- Staphylococcus aureus (all bites including 30-50% of dog and cat bites)
- Staphylococcus intermedius (dogs)
- Anaerobes (50 - 70% of all bites, especially Prevotella spp., but rarely detected)
- Viruses: case reports following human bite wounds