is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Small fastidious intracellular pleomorphic Gram-negative bacilli.
- Bartonella has 19 known species, 7 cause human disease: B. henselae, B. bacilliformis, B. quintana, B. vinsonii, B. grahamii, B. elizabethae and B. koehlerae.
- Best seen with Warthin-Starry silver stain or a Brown-Hopps tissue gram stain.
- Major reservoir of B. henselae is cats -- 50% of cats are seropositive and transmit by saliva contact or scratching ("cat scratch fever" or catch scratch disease [CSD]).
- Menu of diseases caused by Bartonella include cat scratch disease, retinitis, trench fever, relapsing bacteremia, endocarditis, bacillary angiomatosis, and bacillary peliosis hepatitis.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: October 4, 2015
Bartlett, John G. "Bartonella Species." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2015. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/all/Bartonella_Species.
Bartlett JG. Bartonella Species. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2015. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/all/Bartonella_Species. Accessed June 18, 2019.
Bartlett, J. G. (2015). Bartonella Species. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/all/Bartonella_Species
Bartlett JG. Bartonella Species [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2015. [cited 2019 June 18]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/all/Bartonella_Species.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Bartonella Species
ID - 540056
A1 - Bartlett,John,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/10/04/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/all/Bartonella_Species
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine